Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Sunrise on a new day...ANZAC Day

This morning was originally going to be a 5am start. Still having sleep problems a bit, so after passing out around 2am, I was woken by a knock at the door at 4:45am. +Joe had forgotten to pick up the carton of wine he was taking back to the bush – and all downstairs was alarmed/locked up still. You can’t miss opportunities to get things out to locations, so – in a towel and t-shirt – (looking the goods), I stumbled down to sort that out.

But I digress.

5am start – 5:30 service at the Lae War Memorial for ANZAC day. I’m not a regular yearly memorial service person – but the lest we forget ode, and the simplicity of a dawn service was moving… to say the least. It was down at a large park, which had a large memorial. Maybe 160 people or so – with elements of the PNGDF there in the uniforms/etc.

Partly insomnia, partly a hoooge week of stuff, but the sun came up to an immaculate (and large) memorial. It was very, very moving – and had lots of quiet time. Another close friend here in Lae had his father pass away overseas very recently (and all too quick for him to get back to the other side of the world for the funeral) – and he said over brekky that he used the time for a bit of personal reflection time. Well, I’m in a different league of “stuff to ponder” at the moment, but otherwise ‘Ditto’. I’m amazed still sometimes how much those reflection/think’in times (of course, I might call it prayer) can help…

The free buffet breakfast at the Yoti straight afterwards with everyone helped lots too. Mmm… bacon & egg goodness. All I needed was hollandaise & real coffee *sigh*. It was one of those clear, clear mornings where you could see from the yoti the mountains fading back across the Huon gulf. Kicking myself for not having taken a camera to the whole morning. I’ll blame that on the total darkness when I awoke.

PS – HAPPY BITHDAY JULES!!! Great to talk to you today... love ya lots.

PPS - [“+” is the shorthand in Anglican-ism for bishop...]

1 Comments:

Blogger Naaaaath said...

Thanx S-F! Already a long week... but I'll be awright. Did your package arrive yet from Lae?? Already scanning the diary later in May for another Goroka weekend.

Wed Apr 26, 10:47:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home