Friday, March 03, 2006

Back Again – just a catch-up blog

Been a slack month on the blog front. Funny how the busiest time (theoretically with the most stories and blog stuff) ends up being the one you end up writing down the least.

Roight – so I was ultra-mega-man busy in January with Anglican work stuff. Trying to kick in a new calendar year end across accounts, settling in two new staff members, having a drink now and then with friends in Lae (mostly Alex&Jonix)… Eventually after the last week of ‘just a few’ late work sessions I went to Oz (sorry to those I didn’t get to call/see) to see the lady (mostly), to make sure Flan & Cazz were safely married (yayayay – great day), and do some quick catch-ups. It was a bit surreal being back again (bright lights! bright lights!), but grrrrrrrreat to see everyone. Likely a lot longer than that 3-4 months before the next visit.

So I got back to PNG about a week ago – and had about half a day to catch my breath before trucking head-long into a 5 day meeting/workshop/consultation with about 42 Anglicans from around the country. Although the consultation was out at a pastoral training centre (place is run by the Catholics – nice, but basic stuff, reminded me of those church camps), it was also (9miles away) in ‘my’ home office town – so there were the inevitable runs back to the office and askims around town. The meeting overall was all about getting a feeling for the priorities over the next few years for a stack of Ausaid funding. Meetings/training during the day, dinner, and then more meetings/chats after dinner about the programs.

La de da – many-an-observation to make when the eventual topic of Ausaid funding comes up. Words like “capacity building/Institutional strengthening/sustainability” – but I probably shouldn’t prattle about work too much here. Suffice to say I’m amazed and humbled sometimes by how effective and useful aid can sometimes be – and amazed and humbled at how useless in the long term it can sometimes be. I think that’s a truism. But I’m not sure. On the topic, here’s a development poem a good friend working in the area sent around the other day on the email.

The Development Set

By Ross Coggins

Excuse me, friends, I must catch my jet-
I'm off to join the Development Set;
My bags are packed, and I've had all my shots,
I have travelers' checks, and pills for the trots
The Development Set is bright and noble,
Our thoughts are deep and our vision global;
Although we move with the better classes,
Our thoughts are always with the masses.
In Sheraton hotels in scattered nations,
We damn multinational corporations;
Injustice seems so easy to protest,
In such seething hotbeds of social rest.
We discuss malnutrition over steaks
And plan hunger talks during coffee breaks.
Whether Asian floods or African drought,
We face each issue with an open mouth.
We bring in consultants whose circumlocution
Raises difficulties for every solution-
Thus guaranteeing continued good eating
By showing the need for another meeting.
The language of the Development Set
Stretches the English alphabet;
We use swell words like 'epigenetic',
'Micro', 'Macro'. and 'logarithmetic'.
Development Set homes are extremely chic,
Full of carvings, curios and draped with batik.
Eye-level photographs subtly assure
That your host is at home with the rich and the poor.
Enough of these verses -- on with the mission!
Our task is as broad as the human condition!
Just parry to God the biblical promise is true:
The poor ye shall always have with you.


That biblical quote is entirely out of context, of course, but anyhoo's.

Sooooooo – will try and get some more of the photo’s n observations up again soon. Till then...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home