Sunday, April 30, 2006

Retail Thrapy – Stylus Lae lah

Requiring some clothes for next weekend’s coffee ball up in Goroka – I hit the streets of Lae in search of a few necessities. Little things like dress shoes and such.

Armed with a PNG eftpos card, K30 cash and the Anglican Bus – I made a beeline to Eriku’s Andersons, and wandered every shop on the strip up to Value City (for those who know Lae at all). Seems most of the trade shops down there are run by Philippino’s/Malaysians, but hard to tell. They were certainly all doing a cracking business on a Sat. morning.

As with all good shopping, I came back with only a little to do with the original purpose – but very happy. Picked up a nice Guitar for K80 (I’m trying to make my way through that black book properly now Jen); nabbed a new clock for the wall for K9 (it works even); bought some more short-socks for squash (back to most nights now, getting a fitness bug again); bought a whole Red Emporor Fish for K6 (yum – lunch later today); a shockingly gold tie for dressups next week; and best of all I got a selection of books from a second-hand clothes store for K15.

For K15, found-: The God of Small things; Africa - on a shoestring (6th ed, not too bad); Australian short-short stories collection; Bridget Joneses Diary; another Cookbook (tho realised nau that it’s a microwave cookbook – urgh); Spadework (I keep hearing about Timothy Findley – is he actually that good?); and a Tim Winton (The Riders). The Tim Winton book was K1.50. Bargains! So now I am officially 10 books behind PNG ppls – if you need a decent book, come see the (small, but growing) shelf of Nath.

*cough* of course, buy enough bargains and you’ll not eat out of the house for a week or two, but that’s cool. My fingertips are already feeling blistered from the nasty steel strings of the guitar, and Jane came around for a quiet night last night keep’in costs down (ta for dinner Jane!).

1 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

Ooooh - the God of Small Things! One of my favourite books - beautiful (though I think it's one you either love or hate - I know plenty of people who hate it). The Riders is also very good (if you like Winton, which I do), but will probably make you homesick. :)

Bridget Jones' Diary? *LOL* I think that would have been on top of your reading list at home, yes?!

Sun Apr 30, 01:47:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home