Saturday, November 19, 2005

Yes - there are some very kewl people in Lae

Here are two of them.

I may have to take these pictures down again, as I may have promised not to put them up on a blog, oh well.

Jonika (ex-Canada) & Alex (ex-Melbourne). They’re recently engaged (he proposed in the Taj Mahal, which I’m not even sure that I can spell) – they’ve been in Lae for quite a while. Alex works at an export company, and is an ex-AVI. Jonika does a bit of everything from what I can tell – but lotsa teaching/NGO/consultancy stuff.

So they’ve regularly picked me up to go to the yacht club for drinks any number of times. They have scrumptious brunches. They are a lot of fun.

Anyhoo’s – this week I had pink-eye – otherwise known as eye infections – which swelled the left eye right over (ouch!). Then I got back to Lae, feeling crap and unable to see properly, heaps of work to do – you get the idea. Then on Friday of the same week I get fevers n stuff, get tested – yup – I’m Malarial (is that a word?). Yay!

The long and short of all this, (besides an opportunity for some general whining on my part), is that Jonika & Alex got me around on a Sat. afternoon/evening for some cricket, pizza, DVD’s n steak for dinner – putting a much needed smile n chill-out on a mediocre week. Ta!



Action shot is Alex check’in on the home-brew (go bubbles go) outside…

1 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

oh no - poor Nath!

*puts on Mum voice* I hope you're covering up before sun-up and sun-down. The only way to avoid malaria is to avoid getting bitten, and that's not as hard as it sounds, given that the mozzies over there aren't as nasty as the little buggers here (who always seem to bite through my clothes!)

I saw your next post - you'll be ok. :) Just do your darndest to not get bitten ever again...PNG's got cerebral malaria, which you really don't want to get.

Mon Nov 21, 01:40:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home